Vagina puppets & Hip Hop Week Montreal

Weekly culture picks from The Daily

Niyousha’s Pick: Vagina Puppet-making and Performance Workshop
With Freud’s banner waved in every lecture hall and phallic symbols pervading our daily lives, here’s your chance to assert (for the millionth time) that, contrary to popular belief, the phallus is not the centre of the universe. The Centre for Gender Advocacy is hosting two vagina puppet-making workshops this week, so bust out your papier mâché skills and make a giant vagina – no experience required. There’ll also be a chance to create performance pieces to complement the papier mâché vaginas. The options for performance are endless; anything from storytelling to a sound piece is fair game. If you’re feeling a creative block, please, act out time travel and slap Freud with a giant vagina. If time travel isn’t your thing, the workshop facilitators will still offer a unique history lesson, talking about the history of both puppets and vaginas. Don’t miss out on this perfect bundle of art, creation, and education.

Rosie’s Pick: Hip Hop Week Montreal
For those who like to listen, make some time in your schedule this week for a Montreal music event that is not to be missed: Hip Hop Week Montreal. Since its inception 35 years ago, hip hop has been revolutionizing popular culture, from Grandmaster Flash to Kanye. But what does this genre, which has undergone internal revolutions of its own, mean today? Through speakers, panels, showcases, and more, Hip Hop Week Montreal will explore the current state of the genre in relation to politics and society at-large, and will also be looking ahead into the genre’s future. Must-attend events include “Big Booty Hos: Panel on Gender, Sexuality & Feminism in Hip Hop,” and “Fight the Power: Panel on Hip Hop, Activism and Revolution,” not to mention performances from influential MCs Jean Grae and Rakim. Plus, the week raises funds for No Bad Sound, a local studio that supports aspiring artists. Hip Hop Week Montreal gives you the chance to hear something a little different from your Monday morning lectures.

The vagina puppet-making workshop is Monday, March 16 and Thursday, March 18 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at 10 Des Pins, #414.

Hip Hop Week Montreal runs from March 15 to 21 at various locations. Head to hiphopweekmtl.com for more details.