Social justice rap & poetry

Weekly culture picks from The Daily

Rosie’s Pick: Sounds of Justice Poetry Night
We all need a little more poetry in our lives. Though our computers give us access to some of the best TV, movies, and music, screens can’t compare to sitting mere feet away from a performer, immersed in the sound of their story. This Friday, take a break from Netflix and head over to Café l’Artère for the Sounds of Justice Poetry Night. Organized by Israeli Apartheid Week and McGill Students in Solidarity for Palestinian Human Rights (SPHR), the evening will feature the poetry of Palestinian American poet Suheir Hammad. While political events are often reduced to headlines and body counts, spoken word can help tell the personal stories that go unheard. Hear for yourself what these artists have to say.

Niyousha’s Pick: Workshop: Pipelines & Tar Sands/Raps for Social Justice
Start your week on the right beat this Monday with a workshop from Climate Justice Montreal and rappers Waahli and Lou of Nomadic Massive. Focusing on pipelines and tar sands, this workshop is a chance to expand your environmental knowledge and learn how to compose rap lyrics with a social justice bent.

The workshop also allows participants to prepare for what promises to be an epic event: the Rap Battle Against the Tar Sands, where you can put your skills to the test. It will be more than just a showcase of incredible social justice rap – it’ll also serve as a fundraiser for Aamjiwnaang + Sarnia Against Pipelines (ASAP), a community group that acts as a forum for “action around the toxic reality of living in Chemical Valley” for Aamjiwnaang First Nation community members. The rap battle will feature some fierce competition, so polish your beats at the workshop this Monday – you’ll learn a lot, whether or not you plan on taking the stage.