Bouge d’ici dance festival and Sweet soirée at chez boris

Weekly culture picks from The Daily

Rosie’s Pick: Bouge d’ici Dance Festival

Kick off the year with Bouge d’ici, Montreal’s annual festival of contemporary dance. Founded in 2009, the two-week festival is a showcase for up-and-coming dancers facing a lack of opportunities to break into the mainstream scene. But Bouge d’ici isn’t only for dancers – the festival offers a range of performances and activities that are worth checking out even for those of us with two left feet. This week’s events are “So You Think That Was Dance?” where performers are invited to share innovative works of ten minutes or less (and discuss them afterward over drinks), and the festival’s main showcase, “Common Space.” Also not to be missed is the closing night cabaret and party – that’s when the real dancing begins.

Niyousha’s Pick: Sweet Soirée at Chez Boris

Donut cafe Chez Boris is inviting its neighbourhood dwellers to enjoy more than just delicious pastries this Friday night. The cafe is hosting its own neighbourhood cabaret, Sweet Soirée at Chez Boris, which will feature established and emerging artists alike. Drag performers, burlesque dancers, and trans artists will all take to the stage.The event promises to be a cozy celebration of gender, sexual, and body diversity. What better way to celebrate on a Friday night? (Or any other day of the week really.) Plus, all profits from the event go directly to the artists.
Step in from the cold, curl up with freshly fried donuts and homemade apple cider, and enjoy the show.

“So You Think That Was Dance?” is Friday, January 16 at 10 p.m. at MainLine Theatre. Pay what you can, $8-10 suggested.
“Common Space” runs January 14 to 17 at MainLine Theatre. Tickets are $12 for students.
Cabaret Bouge d’ici is Saturday, January 17 at 8 p.m. at MainLine Theatre. Tickets are $10 for students.
Sweet Soirée is Friday, January 16 at Chez Boris, 5151 Parc. Doors open at 8:15 p.m. and the show starts at 9 p.m. Pay what you can, $5 suggested.