Monroe-Blum makes case for increased tuition in Quebec City

Principal Heather Munroe-Blum gave a presentation earlier today to the National Assembly’s Commission de la culture et de l’education, presenting the case for increased provincial funding to the university and explaining McGill’s increasing focus on graduate research. In a document leaked to the Daily that provided the basis for Munroe-Blum’s presentation, the principal outlines the university’s changing priorities. Attached is the Administration’s submission to the Commission.

Priorities

–in the winter of 2011, the administration will release a new 5-year strategic plan for the University’s finances.

–according to Munroe-Blum, “the new strategic plan will put a renewed emphasis on McGill’s professional schools”

–in the coming months, McGill will be applying to the provincial government for an official academic “mission,” or a roughly $5 million grant, which all but three Quebec universities have. The administration’s application is aimed at increasing MGill’s international appeal
–McGill has been involved in 193 research projects worth $30 million dollars in contracts with the industrial sector since 2008-2009, up 73 per cent in the past 5 years
–funds available to doctoral students rose 22% from 2005-2008
— of the 13 biggest research schools in Canada, McGill has the highest proportion of doctoral students in its student body
–In 2008 le Fondation Canadien pour l’innovation gave McGill $99,998,343, its largest grant ever, to expand a medical research facility at the Glen campus of McGill University Health Centre

Building

–On Sept 20, 2009, McGill received $220 million for infrastructure projects
–plans are in the works for new research centres for neuroscience, biochemistry, and bioengineering
–the planned neuroscience, pain and immunology research centre within the Lyman Duff building will cost $26.8 million, of which McGill is consenting to pay $10.5 million
— the biomedical research centre will develop pharmaceutical and medical technologies will cost $120 million
–over the past 10 years, McGill has spent $18 million on improving energy efficiency on campus
–in the coming years, the administration plans to undertake a $22 million refurbishing of campus buildings. McGill is putting up just $7 million for the project, asking the Ministere de l’education, du loisir et du sport (MELS) to cover the rest

Student Life

–While claiming progress in regard to the quality of student life, Munroe-Blum admits “it is true that we still have a lot to accomplish in this respect”

–since 2000 McGill has brought in 930 new professors, with plans to bring in 350 more in the next five years
–administration claims it is focusing on improving three sectors of undergrad life: academic counseling, student resources, and fostering a learning community
–the amount available for student aid has nearly doubled over the past four years, from $16.7 million to $30.4 million a year
–30% of net tuition revenue will go to student aid
–1,140 new places in residence have been created since spring 2005
–undergraduate enrollment is up seven per cent over the past five years

McGill and Quebec

–according to the management consulting company SECOR, McGill contributes $5.2 billion a year to the Quebec economy
–Munroe-Blum praises the provincial government for having “judiciously” diversified the economy in ways that benefit Quebec
–According to SECOR’s report, McGill contributes $925 million to the Quebec economy every year through improved human capital
— McGill contributes a further $3.2 billion annually to the province’s economy through the “spread of knowledge,” according to SECOR
— McGill’s Reseau universitaire integree de santé provides medical care for 1.7 million people in Quebec