Poutine and Gender B(l)ender

Weekly culture picks from The Daily

Eastern Bloc, an interdisciplinary art space and home of Montreal’s Sight & Sound festival, is hosting a birthday party fundraiser this Saturday, simply and mouth-wateringly titled “Poutine.” The day begins with a garage sale featuring your standard records, CDs, clothes, and kitchen utensils, but also an array of Eastern Bloc specialties, including AV equipment, typewriters, and leftover prints from Sight & Sound. Following the garage sale will be a good ol’ fashioned BBQ, where you can chat with artists and tech wizards alike. Closing off the night will be a dance party, starting at 11 p.m. and featuring the tunes of Bataille Solaire, Karneef, Country, and DJ ////, complete with an intense light show. Sounds like a good way to spend a birthday – or someone else’s.

If you feel less like partying and more like performing this week, check out the September edition of Gender B(l)ender: L’open stage queer. This monthly open mic is an event “for queers and by queers” that invites attendees to tell a story (or their story) in whatever way they choose – by singing, dancing, acting, or even stand-up comedy. Both an experimental and safe(r) space, Gender B(l)ender is an anti-oppressive environment that invites all kinds of expression. Hosted by performance artist Kama La Mackerel, this is sure to be an evening of laughter, love, and maybe a little bit of heartbreak.

Poutine is September 27 at Eastern Bloc, 7240 Clark on the 2nd floor. The garage sale  runs from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m.. The BBQ runs from 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.. The DJ sets run from 11 p.m. to 3 a.m.. Entry is $8 as of 9 p.m..

Gender B(l)ender is September 26, from 8:30 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. at CafÈ líArtËre, 7000 Parc Avenue.