Unions denounce McGill protest protocol

Dear Daily,

McGill’s Teaching Union (AGSEM), the McGill University Non-Academic Certified Association  (MUNACA), and the Association for McGill University Support Employees (AMUSE), condemn in the strongest possible terms the proposed Protocol Regarding Demonstrations, Protests and Occupations on McGill University Campuses that was released to campus unions on November 9.

In its current form, the Protocol conflates mere inconvenience with violent disruption and therefore tramples on the right of McGill community members to express all but the weakest forms of political dissent. In doing so, the Protocol contravenes the Quebec Charter of Human Rights and Freedoms, which explicitly protects the freedom of all citizens to engage in principled, nonviolent protest.

Although the Protocol will affect every member of the McGill community equally, whether they be faculty, students, or staff, we are especially concerned that the policy will be used to criminalize the activities of labour union members and their supporters, whose right to participate in campus demonstrations, rallies, and lawful picketing is clearly violated by its terms.

For these reasons, we do not accept the legitimacy of the Protocol and will not consent to its application. Given the magnitude of the threat to our fundamental rights, we call on all members of the McGill community to join us in condemning the Protocol and to work together with us to prevent its implementation.

In solidarity,

—AGSEM, MUNACA, and AMUSE