The battle of the beets

Local restaurants rival for Iron Chef title

Ah, Montreal restaurants: terraces, art-covered walls, and even the sweet nothings scribbled on napkins inside the drawers of Lola Rosa’s tables. Ambience is key, and these small local food joints work hard to make sure the customer is always right, and relaxed. However, Santropol Roulant’s upcoming Iron Chef competition this Thursday is sure to be spicyas six local restaurants go for the gold.

The teams are only given one hour to harvest vegetables from the Edible Campus Garden in front of Burnside Hall. With little more than salt-n-peppa, the teams will prepare a meal to be judged on taste, presentation, portion size, and creativity. Each restaurant is allowed to bring one ingredient that is exemplary of their menu’s signature style. As the saying goes, “simple is best,” especially when working towards greater sustainability.

Despite the competitive nature of Iron Chef, Santropol Roulant’s purpose is, and has always been, to nourish the local Montreal community and encourage eating locally and seasonally. All six contestants, including Lola Rosa Café, McCord Café, The Green Panther, Laloux Restaurant, École Hotelière Calixa Lavalée, and returning champion, Crudessence have  committed to raising $500 for Santropol Roulant’s Urban Agriculture Program. With these donations, Santropol Roulant will greater serve Montreal’s elderly with their “Meals on Wheels” initiative and launch several other greening projects.

So let the games begin! The competition will be followed by a corn boil and musical performance by Valody Klesmer Band. To wash down the whole experience? Beer will be on sale from the McAuslan Brewery.

The Iron Chef competition will be held this Thursday, September 1 outside Burnside Hall at 5:00 p.m.