On the map

Your guide to the boroughs and communities of Montreal!

Côte-des-Neiges (CDN)
The most populated borough of Montreal, this fun locale is home to over one hundred different ethnic communities. Geographically, CDN is right above Westmount, but it’s got a totally different vibe.

Notre-Dame-de-Grâce (NDG)
On the west side of the city, you’ll find this Anglo hub filled with old houses and young families. The area is a fab breath of fresh air that’s just outside of the bustling cityscape of downtown.

Westmount
Money, money, money! Technically its own independent city, this snazzy little enclave is home to some of the province’s biggest celebs and stars. Leonard Cohen was born here, while Heather Munroe Blum and Quebec’s premier, Jean Charest, currently own real estate in this hot spot. With fancy mansions and English signs, this area is an upper-middle class Anglophone heaven.

St. Henri
Rumour has it that this spot is home to McGill residence Solin Hall, as well as old factories and picture perfect parks. Rough charm, emerging vegetarian cuisine, and cheap rent have made the area hopping with students.

Pte. St. Charles & Verdun
Southwest of downtown Montreal, bound on the east and southeast by the Saint Lawrence River, this area has cheap rent and a sprinkle of gentrification, making it less diverse than it once was. A largely industrial area, this neighbourhood includes the former CN rail yards.

Concordia Ghetto
The bright and booming lights of Crescent are a draw in this bodacious area. Mingle with Concordia kids downtown and socialize your way into a world of fab visual artists. Insiders say that the rent isn’t bad either.

The Old Port
This juicy slice of Western Europe is filled with Quebec flags and moose-themed merch – and seems to be an on-trend spot for tourists. Nuit Blanche and Igloofest spice up this snowy haven during the winter months.

Chinatown
Cheap groceries, tasty foods, and bargain clothes! It may not be as large as New York’s or Toronto’s, but Monreal’s Chinatown is less overwhelming and just as loaded with art and yummy grub.

Latin Quarter
Shisha bars, tree lights, and beautiful terraces! Check out the Quartier des Spectacles – an entertainment district sandwiched between The Plateau and The Village with a century-old tradition of shows and performances. Snazzy!

The (Gay) Village
Get ready to get down at Unity, leaf through a paperback in a small coffeeshop, grab a beer at a happenin’ three floor bar like Le Drugstore, or just get some shopping done. Enjoy leather and retro music at Woof! Bistro Bar, and walk the brightly lit and neon spackled streets (closed to cars when the weather is warm).

Hochelaga-Maisonneuve (HoMa)
French, French, and more French! The Value Village at Ontario and Pie IX is perfect for all of you fantastic bargain shoppers! Stop by The Botanical Gardens or The Olympic Stadium for fun times in this bit of the city.

The Ghetto
You’ll be spending a lot of time here, so you better get used to it. Not everyone in the neighbourhood is a student, but lots and lots of them do shack up here. This locale is packed with drinking students, students with backpacks, students on bikes, and the slipperiest ice in the city come January.

The Plateau
Almost like a McGill away from McGill, this nook is heavily populated with students and is home to some of the cutest cafés and coffee shops in the city. Here you’ll find adorable little bars, vintage clothing, yoga, and cheap pizza. St. Laurent is one of the hottest party places outside of downtown, and it’s still walking distance from campus.

Mile-End
Head to this part of town to nosh on good bagels and jam out at some of Montreal’s best music venues. Snugly fit between The Plateau and Outremont, it manages to be one of Montreal’s more residential locals without sacrificing proximity to downtown.

Rosemont
Residential, low-key, and pleasant! Rosemont makes up a huge swatch stretching across a northeast chunk of the city.

Little Italy
Espresso and cannoli fill lovely cafes and charming terraces line St. Laurent. Plus, Jean Talon market is a wonderful reason to saunter over to this area up north.

Outremont
This beautiful borough is Westmount’s francophone counterpart. A source in the know tells us that it’s the home of many UdeM profs and Quebec’s most studly political and intellectual aficionados. This area has a flourishing Hasidic population and tasty, if pricey, restaurants along Bernard and Van Horne.

Park Extension (Park Ex)
Here you’ll find cheap rents and succulent food. You can munch on just about any type of cuisine here –flavours range from Indian to Greek to West African.