Move it, move it!

Fitness at McGill

Exercise
An active body makes a happy mind, as so many great gurus have put it. But don’t take their word for it! Check out McGill’s Sports Complex and Fitness Center; it’s available for any student who wants to get fit. You might even catch some major McGill celebs pumping iron beside you! For only $20 a semester, the opportunities are endless.

Intramural sports
Even if you’re not Jennifer Heil (silver medal winning Olympian and McGill student, no big deal!! Don’t sweat it. The show must go on and McGill offers a ton of intramural options where attitude counts for much more than skill! This fall, offered sports include soccer, hockey, flag football, basketball, among many others. Our all-time fave? Inner tube waterloo! It’s a great way to meet new people or to have tons of fun with your friends. Free agents meetings are on either September 6th or 12th depending on the sport. Check out the McGill Athletics mag on stands now!

Fitness and recreation courses
Get yourself moving by taking a McGill Athletics fitness or recreation course! For a small fee that varies depending on the course, you can take introductory to advanced classes in sports, dance, martial arts, or even “Abs, Back & Booty”.

McGill varsity sporting events
More of a fan than a major leaguer? That’s great! After all, where would all of the McGill sports stars be without the support of their biggest fans? When games aren’t free, they’re usually only $5. For the super fans, there’s Red Thunder, the group that plans tailgates, pep rallies, and other athletic events.

Swimming
While the weather is still warm, get to an outdoor pool and catch some waves! For no cost at all, you can go to the pools in Parc Jarry, Parc Laurier, and Parc Georges-Étienne-Cartier. The hip and happening Hotel de la Montagne offers a rooftop pool and bar that’s open to the public. The summer may be ending soon, but you can go swimming all year round at the McGill gym or local YMCA.

Ice skating
In winter, the best hotspots are actually cold! Get yourself to the rinks available in Montreal for some good old fashinoned fun. For picturesque skating or for a pick-up hockey game, Parc Lafontaine is the best. If you’re dodging paparazzi, there’s also the more secluded Beaver Lake, which is atop Mont Royal. Both of these offer skate rentals on sight. Parc Jeane-Mance is another option, but make sure to bring your designer skates because they don’t offer rentals.