Commentary | QPIRG and Conservative McGill both acting like silly-billies

Re: “QPIRG and Opt-Out campaign clash” | News | September 30

This current scuffle echoes many of the sadly infantile tendencies that arise in social justice groups such as QPIRG and in their traditional opposition. Gather a group of people who feel irredeemably wronged – by “patriarchy,” by “phallogocentrism,” by “neo-colonialism,” or what have you – and toss them in a ring with an equally puerile group of idiots, such as Conservative McGill has ably proven themselves to be, and the inevitable result is wasted column inches on what is frankly a non-issue. I doubt many students were persuaded by the offer of a free lunch in exchange for their opting-out, and those that were, seem likely not to be the type to attend QPIRG’s meetings in any case, so why the fretting over their opting-out? Shouldn’t QPIRG be glad to be rid of such malignant privilegers of White Maleness, such as would abandon the pressing plight of Palestine for the pithy sake of some hot ramen?
I respect QPIRG’s stated principles, and I also respect the values embodied by conservatism in general (if not in particular those ones enumerated in the actions of our current prime minister). I only wish that the groups who would deign to bear such standards would have as much respect.

Mathew Powes
U1 Arts

Comments posted on The McGill Daily's website must abide by our comments policy.
A change in our comments policy was enacted on January 23, 2017, closing the comments section of non-editorial posts. Find out more about this change here.