You’ve got some splainin’ to do

Please explain how representing McGill as an absolute disgrace on campus and in the streets of Montreal is beneficial to the image of McGill as place of higher learning.

I was on campus today (August 27) and a large group of froshers clad in eighties-style clothing was marching around with a “Honk If You’re Horny” sign, an inflatable sex doll and chanting over and over at the top of their lungs “songs” that were nothing but swear words. One of the songs went: “Fuck! Fuck! Fuck! McGill! McGill! McGill!” There was no getting away from them: I ran into this group near the Gates, then outside the gym, while walking along Ste. Catherine, and then again on Peel.

I can only imagine what people thought as they stepped out on the street to be greeted by such a display of McGill pride. Do new students have absolutely no respect for their own school? By the time you enter university, you ought to have a certain level of maturity. Apparently sex and swearing are still hilarious at 18. I’m all for camaraderie, but I must have missed the research that shows that destroying the reputation of their university is conducive to bonding among students. I am curious as to the reasoning that allowed these new students and Frosh leaders to gladly take part in such an offensive display. I feel bad for the parents; if they only knew what their hard-earned money was financing.

Someone should be held accountable for this shameful parade; Frosh organizers and leaders clearly lack the necessary skills to judge what is in good taste.

Lucie Clermont
U1 Physical Education
2003 McGill Alumna