Pop Montreal: Hooded Fang

October 2 / O Patro Vys (356 Mont-Royal Ave. E.)

You should definitely see Hooded Fang’s Pop Montreal show at O Patro Vys tonight. I’m not just saying this because half of their members happen to be ex-Dailyites – and I’m not just saying this because they personally told me they would read this brief when it comes out. I’m very picky about music, and I listened to every song on their Myspace page the whole way through. Twice.

In case you didn’t catch the reference, Hooded Fang got their name from Mordechai Richler’s Jacob Two-Two books, which is adorably Montreal-y of them, if I may say so myself. They’re a six-member indie-pop band, currently based out of Toronto, that got started in Montreal just last February. In a short time, they’ve already booked several relatively large shows, including tomorrow’s Pop Montreal performance, as well as a gig opening for Born Ruffians at Toronto’s Opera House.

Hooded Fang strives to create archetypal pop songs with a twist. They have a sound that’s reminiscent of what would happen if the Cure and the New Pornographers met and made babies. Think soothing male lead vocals, bells, danceable beats, and lots of hand-claps. According to April, the bassist, if Hooded Fang were an ice-cream flavour, it would be caramel cone explosion made with soy, because they’re not boring vanilla, but not something weird like Tiger Tail. They’re familiar, but with a twist: several people’s different ideas coming together to make cute, fun pop songs.

Don’t just take it from me, though. See for yourself: this is going to be one of those shows where everyone will be out of their seats, dancing like crazy by the end of the set. Doors open at 9 p.m., people!

– Carly Shenfeld