Friends with food: How to impress your Jewish friends (and grandparents!)

What: Rugelah or any other spelling variation (FYNJ*: NOT arugula).

How much it’ll cost: Around $6 for butter and cream cheese – everything else should already be chilling in your pantry.

The main Jewish holidays may have passed, but you can enjoy the sweet taste of Jewish culture at any time of the year. Rugelah comes right out of the shetle (FYNJ: where the Jews lived in Russia). Make them as an impressive treat for your friends, parents or, most importantly, grandparents!

…………………………………..

Rugelah

• 2C flour

• 1C butter

• 1C spread-able cream cheese

• ½ C packed brown sugar

• 2 tbsp cinnamon

• 2 tbsp butter

• 1 egg

• 2 tbsp milk

Combine flour, butter, and cream cheese into a dough (you might need to use your hands, a knife, or a food processor). Divide into four hockey pucks and place in the fridge for one hour.

Combine brown sugar and cinnamon. Set aside.

Melt remaining butter.

Roll out each hockey puck and cut into six pizza-like wedges. On each wedge spread the butter and sprinkle cinnamon-sugar on top. Roll the wedge from the wide end to the short. Repeat with all the dough.

Beat together egg and milk. Brush on the wedges with either a pastry brush or paper towel.

Bake at 350˚F for 20-25 minutes (until the tops are golden brown).

…………………………………..

Tips and tricks:

Make these the night before a potluck. You’ll be loved by all.

Variations:

Fill the wedges with melted chocolate (1/2-1 package of chocolate chips and a sliver of butter). You can also fill them with jam or any other filling.

Make sure to check out this recipe plus fun Jewish tidbits on our side project I’m not Jewish but THEY are at tvmcgill.com.

Friends with food and All hopped up are switching time slots for the next two weeks. The Mind & Body section will also come out Monday, October 27, instead of its usual Thursday printing next week, because of the special issue schedule – so catch Joe’s insights on the world of beer then. After that, no more funny stuff, we swear.

Friends with Food will be back in three weeks with more tasty treats.

*FYNJ= For You Non-jews