Celebrate Indian summer, Mumbai-style

I picked these recipes as a salute to the quickly retreating vestiges of summer.

1. Indian-style Roasted Corn (Roasted Bhutta): 
Street vendors sell this dish during one of my favourite summer festivals, and the natural sweetness of the corn mixed with the spicy and sour flavours of the seasoning is absolutely delicious. Corn is also extremely cheap, and you can find it everywhere this time of year. 

Ingredients:
 Whole ears of corn, 1 lemon or lime per ear of corn, olive oil, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper.

Method:
Shuck the corn, making sure that all of the hairs are removed. Ideally, you would rub the corn with olive oil and roast it over a barbecue or in the oven at 350 degrees Fahrenheit until it is golden all over; if you’d prefer to boil the corn, no oil is necessary. To check if the corn is cooked, stick a fork in it. The kernels should be soft. While the corn is cooking, halve the lemons/limes, and combine all the spices on a plate. Adjust the amount of cayenne pepper to taste. When the corn is done cooking, take a half of lemon/lime, dip it in the spices, and rub it all over the corn. Repeat as necessary, and serve right away.

2. Green Bean Salad with Feta:
At the end of every summer, my garden at home overflows with green beans. This salad is crunchy, fresh, and a delicious way to use those superabundant beans.

Ingredients: 
350 grams trimmed green beans, 1 chopped red onion, chopped cilantro, 2 thinly sliced radishes, 3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, 1 tsp oregano, 2 tbsp balsamic or cider vinegar, 5 tbsp olive oil (preferably extra virgin), 1 large tomato cut into wedges, salt, and pepper. 

Method: 
Bring about 4 cm of water to a boil in a large pot. While the water is heating, trim the ends off your beans and rinse them in a metal colander. Steam the beans by placing the colander in the pot. Steam until just tender (about five minutes). Transfer the beans to a bowl and add the onion, cilantro, radishes, crumbled feta, oregano, and tomatoes. In a separate bowl, combine the oil, vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste. Pour over the vegetables, and toss gently until well combined. You can eat the salad warm or chilled. This will keep in the fridge for a few days.