AUS Council appoints new VP Finance

Plans revealed for extensive renovation of Leacock terrace

On Wednesday March 22, the Arts Undergraduate Society (AUS) Legislative Council assembled for one of its final meetings of the academic year. Council voted on a motion to amend the AUS Equity Policy, appointed replacements for former Arts Representative Igor Sadikov and former VP Finance Deepak Punjabi, and discussed new information concerning possible renovations to the Leacock terrace.

Resignation of the VP Finance

Before giving her routine executive report, AUS President Becky Goldberg made a statement concerning Punjabi’s resignation, which occurred on March 20.

“There’s a lot of speculation spinning around about why Deepak resigned,” she said. “Just to clarify, he found a job off campus, that’s the reason. […] It shouldn’t necessarily be encouraged to find a job part way through another job, but I’m glad that he’s doing what he needs to do.”

“Just to clarify, he found a job off campus, that’s the reason. […] It shouldn’t necessarily be encouraged to find a job part way through another job, but I’m glad that he’s doing what he needs to do.”

This announcement followed the passing of a motion to appoint the Arts Financial Management Committee (FMC) Representative Noah Lew to the position of acting VP Finance. Weeks earlier, Lew had been elected VP Finance for the 2017-2018 academic year.

Amendments to AUS Equity Policy

A motion to amend the Equity Policy bylaws was moved by Amanda Hills of the Political Science Students’ Association, Nick Milum from the International Development Studies Students’ Association, and Equity Commissioners Jad El Tal and Leah Damo. The proposed amendment stipulated that AUS executives must undergo training on consent, responding to disclosures of violence, and being an active bystander.

“We feel like it’s really important that student executives are really prepared to handle the situations that come their way,” noted Hills. “Especially because a lot of the events we run have alcohol and that really affects the nature of consent.”
The motion passed unanimously, and without debate.

Renovations to Leacock terrace

In his executive report, VP Academic Erik Partridge revealed the Faculty of Arts Committee’s plan to renovate the Leacock terrace to include an amphitheater. The project would involve a complete re-sloping of the area in order to incorporate green space and a new outdoor gathering place for students.

“This is somewhat problematic,” Partridge said, “because it would be an amphitheater probably without a roof, and I don’t know how many of you […] want to stay outside in the middle of the winter.”

“We feel like it’s really important that student executives are really prepared to handle the situations that come their way. Especially because a lot of the events we run have alcohol and that really affects the nature of consent.”

This prompted a question regarding whether or not the administration had considered using the money to instead create an indoor study space which would be fully accessible year-round.

“We suggested that they put some sort of potential ceiling over it,” he responded, “which they’re open to exploring. It would definitely not be heated in the winter.”

It was made clear that the administration had already gone far ahead with this project and it should soon be implemented despite these critiques.