COMMENTARYplaceholder11

EDITORIALS | SSMU Fall 2015 Referendum endorsements

EDITORIAL

Safety Network Fee – YES

The Safety Network Fee replaces the McGill Student Emergency Response Team (M-SERT) and Sexual Assault Centre of McGill Students’ Society (SACOMSS) fee levies, as well as the base membership fee transfers from SSMU to Drivesafe, Walksafe, and M-SERT, with a single fee levy of $3.97 per student per semester. This change would simplify the collection of the fees and enact a modest fee increase for each of the services. The Daily endorses a “yes” vote on this question to support the work of these essential and widely used volunteer-run services, which provide support and advocacy for survivors of sexual assault, emergency first aid, and nighttime accompaniment for students.

CKUT fee increase – YES

As a campus-community radio station, CKUT airs independent, grassroots, and anti-oppressive content, and features extensive programming for and by McGill students. It is a unique learning space for students interested in sound recording, production, journalism, and broadcasting, in addition to providing student employment opportunities. The station also serves as a meeting point between McGill and the broader Montreal community, and collaborates with numerous campus groups. Currently under financial strain, CKUT is requesting an increase of $1.50 to its opt-outable fee, with the total ranging between $4 and $6.50 per student per semester, depending on faculty and course load. The Daily endorses a “yes” vote on this fee increase, which is necessary for CKUT to keep up with inflation, update its equipment, and maintain and expand its programming.

Multimedia editor Anya Sivajothy is a member of the “yes” committee for this question, and did not contribute to the discussion and endorsement of this fee increase.

—The McGill Daily editorial board

Comments posted on The McGill Daily's website must abide by our comments policy.