#Edu4All photo contest highlights barriers at McGill

The Social Equity and Diversity Education (SEDE) office is running a photo contest about barriers to inclusion at McGill. The contest, for which members of the McGill community are asked to “submit a captioned photo highlighting barriers, myths, or examples of inclusion at McGill,” is part of SEDE’s Public Education is for Everyone initiative, or #Edu4All.

“One of [the contest’s] goals is to provide a platform for the broader McGill community to be able to shape discussions around equity, or lack thereof, at McGill,” SEDE Public Awareness Strategy (Communications and Events) Intern Cadence O’Neil told The Daily in an email.

O’Neil continued, “Everyone’s experience at McGill is unique, and this is determined in part by the barriers and supports in place at McGill, and the space created to discuss these realities.”

The scope of the contest is as broad as the range of barriers that exist at McGill. O’Neil outlined some of the issues centred in the few submissions that SEDE has received so far.

“Everyone’s experience at McGill is unique, and this is determined in part by the barriers and supports in place at McGill, and the space created to discuss these realities.”

“These submissions have highlighted a broad range of issues already, for example: the accessibility of equipment in offices at McGill, some of the reasons behind the underrepresentation of Indigenous students at McGill, and the lack of abuse and sexual assault support services for all members of the McGill community.”

Ultimately, O’Neil was hopeful that the contest would spur changes on campus beyond a discussion of barriers and accessibility.

“I […] hope that the important critiques and barriers being identified by students through this project will be taken seriously by other members of the McGill community, and will result in tangible changes,” said O’Neil.

“There is clearly a long way to go before public education is truly accessible and a positive experience for all, but SEDE is dedicated to helping that process along.”

SEDE will be accepting photo submissions until March 13.