Free City Radio III and A Cappella @ McGill

Weekly culture picks from The Daily

Niyousha’s Pick: Free City Radio III
Free City Radio, a regular weekly program on CKUT 90.3 FM, is launching its third seasonal zine this week, focusing on how media practices and social movements interact. Drop by the Concordia Co-op Bookstore for the launch and pick up your copy of Free City Radio III. This issue of the zine explores everything from social justice educational flyers, to the use of “social media in a time of war,” and features reflections by a range of journalists from all over North America. The zine promises a refreshing new look at alternative media facets, and boasts interviews with three journalists who covered the Gaza bombings this past summer. For those who feel their faith in humanity weaning every time they mistakenly indulge in corporate or state-backed news sources, Free City Radio III could provide hope in the form of “collective possibilities for media practice.” This hand-crafted, silk-screened zine might even inspire you out of the November blues.

Rosie’s Pick: A Cappella @ McGill
This week, two of McGill’s four a cappella groups are having their first concerts of the year. Thursday is Midnight Hour, the fall concert from McGill’s oldest a cappella group, Tonal Ecstasy. Performing a range of genres, including jazz, rock, hip hop, and pop, the group is kicking their year off with a small, late, intimate show. Get up close and personal with their sultry harmonies.

If you’re busy cramming for that midterm on Thursday (how is it still midterm season?), then check out Effusion A Cappella’s show Clockwork on Sunday. The group is promising a wide range of classics, from Amy Winehouse to John Mayer. Not to mention, McGill band SHYRE will be kicking off the evening with Sarah Rossy’s equally powerful vocal chops.

Both renowned for their singing skills and musical innovation, these two a cappella groups are sure to make your week pitch perfect.

The Free City Radio III zine launch is Wednesday November 12 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at the Concordia Community Solidarity Co-op Bookstore.

Tonal Ecstasy’s Midnight Hour is Thursday November 13 at 9 p.m at Club Balattou.

Effusion’s Clockwork is Sunday November 16 at 7 p.m. Café Campus.