Welcome to The Daily

Operating out of a basement office in the Shatner building, The McGill Daily is your independent, student-run, campus-community newspaper. Autonomous from profit or any political body, The Daily is able to publish student-produced content radically different from other publications. Our Statement of Principles (SOP, found here) guides our coverage and attention to issues ignored by most mainstream media, providing a space for marginalized voices. The Daily strives to include, in its coverage, analysis of race, gender, age, social class, sexuality, religion, ability, and cultural identity, and to challenge all forms of oppression. The Daily’s editorial board is organized as a non-hierarchical collective and engages in consensus-based decision making to uphold these values.

Through its 102 years of existence, The Daily has undergone numerous changes. Once a single broadsheet focused on sports news, it has evolved to become a critical voice on campus, providing insightful news coverage and alternative angles on stories. In this process of metamorphosis, The Daily has earned a reputation for taking courageous stances that were ridiculed at the time, but later embraced by the mainstream, such as when it published a special issue for International Womenís Day in the late 1970s.

The Daily boasts its status as McGill’s surrogate journalism school, training the soon-to-be New Yorker and Washington Post writers, radio and video producers, and Leonard Cohens of the world. And those of the visual persuasion use our pages as learning spaces for photojournalism, illustration, and design skills.

The upcoming year marks further transformation for The Daily, as the paper transitions into a more digitally-oriented publishing model. As it aims to become ‘daily’ again, the paper will now produce one print issue a week, while increasing the amount, variety, and quality of web-exclusive content. Digital publishing opens new doors for information distribution; in addition to reporting and photojournalism, the web allows us to further explore radio and video as avenues for journalism, and provides an opportunity for new forms of visualization and interactivity. All sections are looking for contributors eager to write, report, photograph, design, and destabilize the status quo ñ no experience required.