AUS to create equity policy

A resolution to create an Equity Policy for the Arts Undergraduate Society (AUS) was passed last Wednesday at the AUS Legislative Council meeting. The resolution was drafted by VP Internal Justin Fletcher and AUS Middle East Studies representative Ella Nalepka.

According to Fletcher, the policy aims to foster “a safe space [for students]…in which everyone will feel included and have the ability to participate in AUS events and services.” The policy will also outline principles of anti-oppression and non-discrimination. Fletcher further explained that this policy will establish a framework that the AUS Council can abide by when planning events and providing services.

The policy will also provide guidelines for how student grievances might be addressed if they feel that the equity policy has been violated.

The resolution mandated that an Ad Hoc Equity Committee be created in order to formulate the policy. Fletcher explained that the committee will consist of himself, two AUS councillors, and two members-at-large to be selected through an application procedure. The committee will also carry out a consultation process, which will be open to all AUS members to provide their suggestions and ideas.

Fletcher stated that the committee hopes to have a policy to bring before AUS Council by their November 28 meeting.