Culture | When I knew what to say

Stories from queer students about coming out at different ages

In first year, I took all the Women’s Studies classes I could. I rationalized it so easily with curiosity, with my politics. But there was something else – I knew that I would eventually have a revelation. One day, during WMST 303 (my Feminist Theory and Research class) the girl sitting next to me passed me a note. I’d had a “friend crush” on her, and she was adorable. She sparkled, she had a cool haircut, and she wore these cute thick-framed glasses. My God, the world fucking stopped when she smiled. Even though I haven’t had a real conversation with her in almost three years, I still get sweaty and nervous just thinking about her.

The note was totally platonic – it was about participating in some art show – but her hand brushed my thigh and it lit up as if on fire. I left that class crying and, on the way back to my room in the then all-female RVC, I called my friend. I was absolutely hysterical. It was one small movement after another toward an obvious conclusion. At 19, I was seeing The Vagina Monologues and my thighs were burning at passed notes and my time in my room was spent watching The L Word and researching how to make a girl have an orgasm. I masturbated for the first time that semester. I cried and cried and cried. But, sometimes I came too.

There were so many questions. “But if I like men and I like women, what does that mean?” “How could I have not known?” “Was I always queer or did I become queer?” “What do I call myself?”

I made cards for the girls on my floor out of acrylic paint that read “I’m queer!” in rainbow colours. I had long phone calls. My brother, my best friend, my future roommate, my ex-boyfriends. Then my best friend told some bro that I was “a lesbian,” and people were facebook chatting me and people that bullied me in high school were posting about it. In the hot suburbs of Atlanta, people were talking.

I deferred my exams. I spent the summer drinking beer and watching Gilmore Girls in my room, and – two years later – I’m still trying to negotiate my sexuality. My parents and I are still trying to figure out what we’re comfortable talking about. I’m still only writing this article because it’s pseudonymous. My extended family still doesn’t know. I’m still coming out.

Comments posted on The McGill Daily's website must abide by our comments policy.
A change in our comments policy was enacted on January 23, 2017, closing the comments section of non-editorial posts. Find out more about this change here.