Culture | Bonny says: “eat your veggies”

Griffintown staple attempts to satisfy eaters of all kinds with vegan treats

I have never been particularly gung-ho about vegan food. The exclusion of meat from a meal is one thing – the complete elimination of any and all food products derived from animals is another. I have, however, enjoyed vegan food in Montréal before. In particular, while sitting on the back patio of the old Mile End stalwart Aux Vivres, I was served one of the hands-down best brunches I’ve ever enjoyed. If brunch, a meal typically heavy in the animal by-product department can be palatably, even deliciously, served without meat, surely there’s nothing to fear – flavour-wise – from vegan joints come lunch-time. So it was without trepidation that I entered Bonny’s vegan and organic restaurant and sat down for lunch around 2 p.m. this past Monday.

The restaurant wasn’t very busy and, after having seated myself in one of the restaurant’s twenty or so seats, I was quickly handed a menu, and served a pitcher of lemon water. After a brief perusal of the menu I settled on the soup and sandwich combo, attractively priced at $10. My dhal soup arrived piping hot in a small teacup sprinkled with green onions and freshly cracked pepper. “Is it the lighting?” I thought, “or is this dhal brown?” Indeed the dhal was brown, but not for any sinister reason, as it turned out. Dhal, (denoting lentils generally [or any dish made with them] but, in this case, referring specifically to a style of soup) is usually flavoured with generous amounts of turmeric, which gives the dish its bright yellow colour and earthy aroma. Digging into the cup, I discovered I had been felicitously duped – the dhal was delicately seasoned with Chinese five-spice powder and cardamom instead. The result was a bit heavy on the cinnamon, but overall pretty exciting, for soup. The consistency was thinner than I am used to enjoying in a dhal soup, but I found it refreshing – especially with the distinctly Chinese addition of green onions – and enjoyed it almost as a tea rather than a soup.

The veggie-pâté sandwich was unfortunately not as exciting. Served on admirably fresh and delicious bread that smelled deeply of toasted wheat, the sandwich was spread with a too-thin layer of lentil and wheat-berry veggie-pâté, and topped with spinach greens, pickled red cabbage, fresh shredded carrots, and dijonnaise. The ingredients themselves were acceptably fresh and garden-variety – the pickled cabbage, obviously done in-house, was pleasant and crunchy, the veggie-pâté was soft and savoury, and it’s hard to complain about carrots and spinach at great length. My problem with the sandwich was that the fillings weren’t particularly filling. For a few extra bucks, I could get a twice as large sandwich at Aux Vivres, where the satiating nature of the food seems to be an integral part of their success.

Bonny’s has everything going for it: a good location in an up-and-coming restaurant district (Joe Beef anyone?), a unique concept ‘if your mom cooked vegan’ and a nice interior space. It has more than enough to set it apart from the pack (read: Aux Vivres). What it needs to do is start serving bigger portions, not necessarily better or different food, just more of it.

Comments posted on The McGill Daily's website must abide by our comments policy.
A change in our comments policy was enacted on January 23, 2017, closing the comments section of non-editorial posts. Find out more about this change here.