Commentary | Student groups list too powerful, biased

Re: “Student Groups” | Disorientation Guide | September 1

It is unfortunate that in its guide to student groups, The Daily has chosen to mislead both Jewish and other students about the merits of Hillel McGill. In the September 1 issue, the review of Hillel McGill was incomplete and biased. The review was slanted in such a way as to lead readers to believe that Hillel McGill is a one-issue, pro-Israel club. The Muslim Students’ Association is labeled as a hub for Muslim students on campus, while Hillel is only mentioned in connection with last year’s controversial GA. Like the MSA is for Muslims, Hillel is a centre for Jewish life on campus and provides a place for Jewish students to hang out, eat, and learn about Judaism. The group gets involved in Israel advocacy when required to, but that is certainly not the be-all and end-all of Hillel. On the politics side, however, labeling SPHR as hip and as the cats to “[s]ay hey to if the Middle East… turns your crank” is completely one-sided. There are many points of view in the Middle East, and both the pro-Palestinian and pro-Israel ones are legitimate. In the future, students should be able to choose who to seek out based on their own personal beliefs, and should not be directed to a particular side by the campus media. Let’s stick to unbiased reporting.

Adam Sadinsky
U1 Political Science
VP Outreach, Hillel McGill

Comments posted on The McGill Daily's website must abide by our comments policy.
A change in our comments policy was enacted on January 23, 2017, closing the comments section of non-editorial posts. Find out more about this change here.