Mmm… delicious stale Aramark food

Morton Mendelson claims that the Architecture Café was not “sustainable financially.” Until McGill admin releases the Architecture Café’s accounts, the student body cannot decide for itself whether these claims are fair. We must call upon Mendelson to release the accounts. While waiting for the release of these accounts, we students must ask questions about the underlying motivations at work, not just in the Arch Café case, but all of the administration’s policies affecting student life.

I’ll start off by pointing out that that among other functions, the Arch Café was a study space. I am wondering how Mendelson plans on converting the Architecture Café study space into a more financially-sustainable study space. We all know McGill cares a great deal about making revenue wherever it can, so I’m glad to give my suggestions. Perhaps the administration should charge a toll for entry to the study space? After all, why should the whole student body “subsidize” heating and lighting for a study space only used by a few students? But let’s not stop raising money there; I suggest no entry into a library without purchase of one Aramark soup product. If you don’t like the selection in the Redpath Oasis, don’t worry, the Aramark McConnell cafeteria has a marginally different selection of Aramark soups to choose from. If you want a chocolate croissant, though, you’re out of luck.

The general feel amongst students is that McGill plans to monopolize the food services so that future food contracts can be sold at a higher price. The administration has a record of trampling student-run initiatives in that aim. So the next time you’re waiting in line for a stale, overpriced Aramark sandwich, consider what policies your money is supporting.

Guy Mark Lifshitz
U5 Honours Computer Science