What’s the haps

Talks on racialized violence

Monday, March 16, 7 p.m.

McCord Museum, 690 Sherbrooke O.

Tuesday, March 17, 6 p.m.

Atwater Library, 1200 Atwater Ave

Beverley Jacobs, President of the Native Women’s Association of Canada, will speak on the violence inflicted upon aboriginal women and girls in Canada. She will also participate in a panel discussion on Tuesday. The events aim to stimulate a broader understanding of and discussion about the reasons behind racialized violence in Canada. Free.

Cinema Politica

Tuesday, March 17, 8 p.m.

Arts W-215, 853 Sherbrooke O.

For their last event of the year, Cinema Politica is screening “Be Like Others,” a documentary about sex and gender issues in Iran, in particular the young men living on the fringes of life who choose to undergo sex-change surgery.

DPS Annual General Meeting

Tuesday, March 19, 6 p.m.

Leacock 232, 855 Sherbrooke O.

All undergraduate and Law students are invited to attend the Daily Publication Society’s annual meeting to vote for future board members.

A Portrait of Black Transmen

Wednesday, March 18, 6 p.m.

Rutherford Physics Building rm 112, 3600 University Street

Join Queer McGill and the Anti-Racist Coalition for a screening of “STILL BLACK: A Portrait of Black Transmen,” is an alternative feature-length documentary about the lives of six black transgender men living in the United States. Screening followed by a discussion with the filmmakers.

Future of the Philippines

Friday, March 20, 6:30 p.m.

Shatner Ballroom, 3480 McTavish

Join the McGill University Filipino Asian Students’ Association for a night of singing, dancing, food and fashion. Proceeds go to high school children in the southern Philippine province of Mindanao. Tickets are $12 in $12, and $15 at the door. Email mcgill.mufasa@gmail.com for more info.

Homo Hop

Friday, March 20, 10 p.m.

Just for Laughs, 2111 St. Laurent.

Join Queer McGill for their famous Homo Hop Party, featuring DJ PLASTIK PATRIK in Candy Land. $5 donation. Proceeds go to the Montreal Youth Coalition Against Homophobia. Contact social.qm@gmail.com.

Got a happy hap? Send your not-for-proft event details to news@mcgilldaily.com with “haps” in the subject line. Include a brief description of the event, as well as the time, date, and location.