Culture brief: Christmas choral

Imagine silvery snow sweeping across the streets of Montreal, past the Christmas tree down McGill College, caught in the hair of a young girl clad in red humming a familiar tune. “…wish you a Merry Christmas, we wish you a Merry Christmas…”

Somehow the holiday spirit has already descended on us in the form of shining lights suspended on trees along the sidewalk, transcendent wind chills, and extravagant sales in warm bright windows. A quick flip through the calendar shows that Christmas is still a month away and that we all have to get through that treacherous week of finals first. Some of us, however, just can’t wait.

On November 30, the McGill Choral Society will be performing the Great Mass of Mozart in C minor and seasonal music (a sing-along!) at L’Église St-Enfant Jésus (5037-5039 St-Dominique). The choir has been practicing since September.

So come out for a Sunday afternoon at church with a date or with family and friends, and listen to the beautiful harmonies of Mozart blend into a rich final overtone – oh the suspense of that hanging note! – and then join in with those familiar lines of Christmas carols. Tickets are $10 for students and $15 for adults, and the music begins at 3 p.m.

– Ariel Liu