Culture Briefs

Fokus on student filmmaking

With the post-Oscar buzz fading to a drone and end-of-year blockbusters outstaying their welcome in corporate theatres, TVMcGill’s upcoming Fokus Film Festival – a showcase of student-produced and student-written films – offers a welcome alternative. The festival, which debuted last year, saw 20 submissions compete for prizes in the form of gift certificates from local stores and restaurants. This year, TVMcGill is upping the ante; finalists selected by a panel of McGill professors and local film critics may be able to submit their pieces to the YoungCuts film festival. Students were invited to submit original films in the fiction, non-fiction, less-than-2-minute shorts, animation, and experimental categories. Those looking for a different kind of challenge are encouraged to enter the 72 hour filmmaking competition, which will run from March 14 to 17. These films will also be entered in the competition.

The screening will take place at Cinema du Parc (3575 Parc) on March 19, and winners will be announced at the after party, held at Pistol (3723 St. Laurent). Advance tickets will be available in the TVMcGill office (Shatner B-21) for $5. Tickets will be sold at the Cinema du Parc box office on the night of the event. Visit tvmcgill.com/fokus for more information.

– Claire Caldwell

Bike collective opens

With spring around the corner, biking season is starting up and McGill’s very own bicycle collective is about to open its doors. In an effort to support eco-friendly transportation, the collective will offer free bicycle maintenance and mechanical training. Also, if you’re an aspiring punster, you should know that the Bike Collective doesn’t yet have a name. Contenders include “The Free-Wheeling,” “Cycle-Therapy,” and “VeloCity.” If you have a knack for first-rate puns, or second-rate puns for that matter, send your submissions to commentary@mcgilldaily.com, subject: Bike Collective. Submissions will be printed in the paper. The Bike Collective opens this Tuesday, in Shatner B-02.

– Simon Lewsen